For Yellow and Pocha, two people who recently mentioned my neglect of this blog.
With the quarter only a couple weeks in, I already feel exhausted. I do not know if it is the cold I am desperately fighting or catching up from the conference a week before last or if it is the thyroid lagging behind. Whatever it is, I feel like I am constantly running somewhere, working on catching up, slipping, and falling further behind. It also doesn't help that the thyroid medication makes me feel hot and breathy and like I am literally running everywhere.
After climbing the hill up to my apartment and finishing the last of the comments on the latest batch of student writing, I decided that I needed to take a break. The importance of breaks is perhaps the most important lesson that I have learned since starting graduate school. I have had to learn how to say when. There are moments when I have to tell myself to step away from the student e-mails, to make choices about the reading I have to do, and to do something fun, something that will remind me that I am human. Below is tonight's list.
1. Order pizza (cooking is too difficult tonight).
2. Watch Smoke Signals (Yes, this IS assigned, but I also love it).
3. Peel apples and bake an apple crisp.
4. Watch Glee, Modern Family, and various other TV shows.
5. Blog
6. Listen to the song below on repeat.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I fully support your break. ...and not just because you told me you'd bring me delicious apple crisp. :D
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you made crisp too - even when we in different countries we can still cook together!
ReplyDeleteAlso, breaks are the best thing ever. I miss taking them. Haha.
Wise sentiments from such a green (and already rockstar) scholar. Breaks are essential to good work. I remember considering it a source of pride that, during my Ph.D. studies, I went out of cultivate a strong circle of friends outside of the English department. They were mainly bio/chem Ph.D. students, and I am still very good friends with a lot of them to this day.
ReplyDeleteThey helped me understand that there is life outside of graduate school, even during graduate school!
P